Monday, September 1, 2008

Busy

Now that summer is over and I'm back teaching (for those of you who don't know, I'm a high school history teacher), I've found that my schedule has become much much tighter. This was expected, of course, but it's difficult nonetheless. Strangely, one of the things that's most hampered my training has been the fact that I'm assistant cross country coach this fall for the school. On the surface this seems like a good thing, and if my goal was simply to stay active and be in shape, then running a few miles with the kids every day would be wonderful. The problem is, I've been running a few miles with the kids, then realizing that I didn't do enough of a workout, and so when I get home I head out for more. This makes for disjointed training. Besides, I don't really like running in the heat of the afternoon, which is when we have practice.

As a second year teacher teaching a new course, my outside of school schedule has been predictably packed with planning, and so finding time for runs has been a struggle. Today (Labor Day) I did a 13 miler and felt okay. Next week my long is supposed to be a 19. We'll see how that goes. My knee hurts on every long run. But during day to day activities, it really doesn't bother me at all. It's strange.

1 comment:

Mike said...

YOU TEACH HISTORY? I thought it was an excuse to throw random star trek references at young impressionable children, or to control the fate of the world!