Thursday, August 7, 2008

Lost in Translation

I went out with Trevor today after skipping my Q2 workout for the week. Yes, I feel bad about skipping it, but I don't feel like I had much of a choice. I needed to (and still need to) give my knees some rest. The pain is tough to pinpoint ... it seems like it's in the inside of the knees. I think it's a general tendonitis, but I don't know.

The run today was an interesting one, mainly because we got lost. We decided to head out with no concrete route and do a little exploring. After about 3 miles, Trevor wanted to go straight, and I wanted to go left. I gave in, and about 3 miles later, we were back at the same exact spot. More humorous than anything else, because we got in a solid 9 miles, which is about what we were shooting for, but it took us a while to gain our bearings back. As far as the knees go, the aches continue.

2 comments:

PointSpecial said...

I had knee pain on both the inside and outside of my knee at various times in my basketball career, and I think it was largely due to pounding on the hard court. The trainers had me do a lot of additional stretching of my quads and to some respect my calves. It turns out my quads were pretty tight, and the additional pounding just exacerbated the problem. For me, with additional stretching, the problem finally went away. I did try to cut down on the pounding a bit, so you might try running on grass if possible in addition to stretching to see if that helps. And, finally, after running, taking a Dixie cup of ice and massaging the affected area cuts down on swelling, as does a regiment of anti-inflammatories. Our trainer said it took a certain period of time to get in the system, but unfortunately I cant remember exactly how long it was. I want to think 48 hours, but I might be wrong... hope that helps!

Greg On the Run said...

Welcome to the Complete Running Network Family. Now that you've told God and everybody about your training, you'll find folks checking in and saying hello - keeping you accountable.

I'll have to take issue with pointspecial about anti-inflammatories. The inflammation is painful but it's also an indication of healing. If you try to control it with drugs, you're interrupting the healing process. The ice is a great idea - I use Peas on the Knees - frozen bags of peas.