Monday, July 14, 2008

Monday 7/14

8 miles today. Sunglass loop. I'm happy with today's workout because I ran it in 63 minutes and 18 seconds. So that's a shade under 8 minute mile pace for 8 miles. For me that's quite fast ... for me ....

In fact, it's probably too fast for what is supposed to be an "easy" running day. I got carried away and tried to break the 8 minute mark. I achieved my goal, but perhaps it wasn't the wisest move.

Wore my new Saucony shoes today. Hot spots on the heels as usual. I can't seem to find a shoe that has the perfect fit. I think I may be lacing them up a little too tight. Shoes should be snug, but I think having them too tight creates more pressure in certain spots.

Maybe this pair will work out. Or I could go to a running store and have my feet evaluated. I don't know, I've work Sauconys for years, and I hesitate to make a switch.

Damn feet.

In other news, I started workshop number two for the summer today. This week I'll be studying locally. The theme of the workshop is slavery in the northern United States, which is a topic that is often overlooked and misunderstood. The first day of the workshop was excellent, with a great two part lecture about the Triangular Trade and the role of African Americans in maritime trading in the north. Another presenter showed us some excellent resources for use in and outside the classroom. There were other things going on, but most importantly, we were fed and fed really well all day and from what I understand will continue to be fed well for the duration of the week. U.S. government dollars hard at work.

No comments: