Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Wednesday 7/16

About 10 miles today. Q2 run.

I went to PR running today (in part per the advice of Katy and Owen, thanks guys). I've been thinking about going for a while. I had my run analyzed and some shoes recommended. I ended up settling on a pair of Mizunos that felt really good. I also bought some Wrightsocks. Today I had no blister problems, but I am concerned about the outside edge of my left foot, which hurt after a mile of running, started to feel better a mile later, and then was sore once the run ended. I've iced it, and tomorrow I'm going to put in my superfeet insoles to see if that makes a difference. I may need new superfeet, though I don't want to spend another 40 bucks if I have to. The deeper I get into my training, the more I get worried about injuries. Are the shoes wrong? Do I need to wait for my muscles to get used to a different shoe? (I've been running in Sauconies for years). I'm also cognizant of the fact that I ran 10 miles on my first day with new shoes ... though I did feel pain early in the run.

Today's run was a 3 mile warmup jog to the track at Hudson High. At that point Trev and I immediately started our intervals. We did 3 one mile intervals with 1/2 mile rest jogs in between. Then we jogged back home. It was a heavy workout that was quite satisfying, until my foot started to hurt once we finished. My mile splits weren't all that fast. I don't think I'm meant to be a speed runner. In fact, I'm sure I'm not built to be an elite runner in general ... but I'm certainly motivated and it feels great.

We're planning on running the "Seacoast Seven" this Saturday morning. It's a 7 mile race in Gloucester with race day registration. Lookin' forward to that.

I am well above the needed pace to meet my weekly mileage, which is only 35 this week. It's an easy week before phase III of training begins. We're about to see the Quality workouts turn into hellish exercises. Can't wait.

Oh, by the way, results for THE BEAR are posted here:

http://www.hopeformarrow.org/bearover2008.htm

Look for my name.

1 comment:

Trev said...

290 out of 819? not bad for your first race in quite some time... you're an animal