Monday, July 7, 2008

Monday 7/7 - From Boone N.C.

I ran between 5.5 and 6 miles. I'm not sure of the exact distance due to my unfamiliarity with the surroundings, but based on my estimated pace and exact time, I can come up with a pretty reasonable guess. I'm happy with this run. Tomorrow I need to find time for my Q2. I'm debating whether or not I should do it early in the morning or in the evening.

Eating college cafeteria food put a hamper on my running today. My meals are all you can eat. And so ... I eat a lot. I suppose I shouldn't be complaining, I have complete control over this.

So far the workshop has been a fascinating experience. I'm interested in the topic, and so far the workshop has been impeccably organized and well presented. I must admit, however, the historical issues we are dealing with are ones that I would describe as unremarkable. I'm not surprised by this at all, and it's no big deal. I am still certain there will be a number of ways I can integrate this material into my classroom. My main reason for picking this workshop is the location. The Blue Ridge mountains are certainly blue and certainly breathtaking in places, and the consistent haze and sometimes low lying clouds give these mountains an interesting character and their Smoky name.

The second reason I chose this workshop was to meet new and interesting people. Thusfar I have not disappointed. I've been completely immersed in southern culture (fascinating!), and I've met people from all across the country, all bound together by an involvement in education in some way shape or form. Tonight, some of us are going to get some beers at one of the few bars in Boone, N.C. Beer only, no liquor sold here!

No comments: